The Open Government Data (OGD) Platform India has been setup by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) in compliance with the Open Data Policy (NDSAP) of India. The objective of the policy is to provide proactive access to Government owned shareable data along with its usage information in open/machine readable format, through a wide area of network across the country, in a periodically updated manner, within the framework of various related policies, rules, and acts of the Government. Developed using Open Source Stack, the project is one of the initiatives under Pillar 6 (Information for All) of the Digital India initiative. It facilitates community participation for further development of the product with Visualizations, APIs, Alerts, etc.
“People can directly write to Chief Data Officer (provider) (previously called Data Controller) seeking any further clarification/information on the released resources or related requirements.
Platform enables better discovery and usage of Government datasets through visualizations and development of apps, mash-ups, etc. Visualization Platform with facility to create maps as well as different chart options like radar, bar, line, area, pie, column, etc.“
- Some of the salient features of OGD portal are mentioned as below:
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) to Query Datasets – Direct and dynamic query to access data items of selected datasets have also been provided through the APIs.
- A separate Community Portal has been launched to provide a common platform for knowledge sharing through discussion and to contribute through Blogs, Info-graphics, Visualizations, etc. using data available on the platform.
- People can create visualizations of their own data using the visualization engine service of the OGD Platform.
- Custom Widgets to Share/Link/Consume filtered set of catalogs (Ministry/ Department/Organization as well as Sectors etc.).